Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sincerely, William Martin Joel

"Slow down, you crazy child. You're so ambitious for a juvenile. But then if you're so smart, then tell me why are you still so afraid? Where's the fire? What's the hurry about? You better cool it off before you burn it out. You've got so much to do and only so many hours in a day." -Vienna, Billy Joel. I could sit here and retype the lyrics for hours. It's like Billy knew something that no one else did...I just want to flee to his Long Island home and thank him repeatedly. Billy Joel tried to commit sucide at age 21. Seven years before Vienna's album was released. And now I'm thanking God for Billy's failure at taking his life. Because if I had never heard that song, I would be....messed up. Majorly. Every time I listen to it, I can't believe how much I relate. "You know that when the truth is told, that you can get what you want, or you can just get old. You're gonna kick off before you even get half way through. When will you realize...Vienna waits for you?" It's almost like, sometime in the early 1970's this amazing man sat down and just started writing: Dear...Girl (Idk, don't judge me)
-insert lyrics here-
Sincerely,
William Martin Joel
:) I have close to five hundred songs in my iTunes library. "Vienna" is the third most played. Right under Collide (Howie Day) and Fast Car (Tracy Chapman). "Slow down, you're doing fine. You can't be everything you want to be before your time. Although it's so romantic on the borderline tonight..." "You've got your passion, you've got your pride. But, don't you know that only fools are satisfied? Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true. When will you realize? Vienna waits for you." When will I realize? :)

1 comment: